March 17, 2022
Hello SPH students,
Happy Thursday and welcome to this issue of the GSGA newsletter!
We hope everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather we have been having recently. Spring is just a few days away and is a great time to be outdoors. Start planning for your Spring break, if you have not done so already!
On March 30, we will be hosting our inaugural event for this semester. Join us for a lively trivia night from the comfort of your own home. You can join with a team or be assigned a team at the event. We encourage you to have snacks and beverages handy. All attendees will also receive a Panera gift card! Please check more details below.
We also want to remind you of the GSGA awards that are designed to provide you with financial support to participate in community service events, conferences, workshops, and professional development opportunities, and to publish your research work. Make sure to check out if you are eligible and apply soon!
GSGA Trivia Night – Mark your calendars!!
Wednesday, March 30 | 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm | RSVP
We are very excited to invite you to our lively trivia night on March 30! Grab a snack and join us for fun games from the comfort of your own home. You can join with a team or be assigned a team at the event. We encourage you to have snacks and beverages handy. All attendees will receive a Panera gift card!
Call for Submissions of Artwork: MiX Pride Virtual Art Festival
This year, the Rainbow Alliance Student Club in Bronx Community College’s LGBTQI+ Resource Room are launching the first ever MiX Pride Virtual Art Festival. They are seeking original artwork that expresses PRIDE in the LGBTQI+ experience. LGBTQI+ artists are invited to present original, contemporary works of art that celebrate LGBTQI+ pride, identity, and diversity. The jury prizes are as follows: First Place: $1200, Second Place: $1000, Third Place: $500. Special Award for a current CUNY student will be $300 (must be able to provide proof of enrollment). Apply here by April 30, 2022. Check the website for more details on eligibility and submission requirements.
Upcoming SPH Events
For a complete listing of all SPH events for the semester, please visit the CUNY SPH Events page.
Urban Food Policy Forum | Cities, Institutional Food, and Climate Change
Tuesday, March 29 | 9:30 am – 11:00 am | RSVP
The Urban Policy Forum focuses on how cities can use food as a lever for climate change mitigation and the reduction of their GHGs emissions. What is the potential impact of changing institutional food to advance more climate resilient communities? What does measuring adherence to environmental standards guidelines entail? How do demographics relate to food consumption and its environmental impacts? What are the logistics of transitioning institutional food to more climate-aware models, and which may be some potential operational obstacles in the transition and ways to overcome them? Join the CUNY Urban Food Policy Institute and guest speakers to explore these and other questions.
Other Upcoming Events
Managing Burnout and Preventing Vicarious Trauma
Wednesday, March 23 | 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm | RSVP
This program is offered by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Health (NYC DOHMH) and presented by Lindsey Hennawi, LMSW, MPH. At the end of this program, participants should be able to:
- Understand the neuroscience and symptomology of trauma and PTSD
- To learn identify burnout and to understand the cycle of stress and the manifestation of burnout in helping professionals
- To understand how to identify and address vicarious trauma and respond to survivors who disclose sexual assault
- To define self-care and to understand what that means for oneself.
2022 Latinx Leads Virtual Conference
Wednesday, March 25-26 | RSVP
The Latinx Leads Student Leadership Conference is the largest national gathering of Latinx student leaders and campus-based advisors to address the most critical topics of diversity and social justice challenging the Latinx community within colleges and universities. You can find more details about the conference here.
Social Reinsertion: Managing the Fear of Leaving Home During the Pandemic
Wednesday, March 23 | 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm | RSVP
Safety Policies, Procedures, and Services: Mask Policy Update
- Anyone who would like to continue wearing a mask in any CUNY setting is welcome to do so at any time.
- Masks will continue to be available to you at the SPH Public Safety Stations on the 1st, 5th, 6th and 7th Floors.
- While the CDC is not requiring people to wear a mask in communities that have low or medium COVID-19 levels, faculty, staff, and students who are still not vaccinated, or those who have been or will be granted a medical exemption or religious exception, are urged to continue to wear a mask.
- If you come into close contact with someone with COVID-19 and you are either fully vaccinated and have received a booster shot, or if you tested positive for COVID-19 within the last 90 days, you do not need to quarantine as long as you remain asymptomatic, and you can return to work or class. But you need to wear a mask for 10 days from the date of your last close contact and get tested at least 5 days after the close contact.
Career Services and Events
Student Wellness Support Services and Events
To schedule a counseling appointment with the CUNY SPH Counseling and Wellness Services, send an email to the CUNY SPH Student Wellness Counselor at Sherry.Adams@sph.cuny.edu. You can also learn about student wellness services and resources here.
Recurring student support groups appear below.
- Navigating Our New Normal Support Group
Mondays 5pm – 6pm through April 11
- Drop-in Counseling Hours
Tuesdays 5pm – 6pm and Thursdays 3pm – 4pm through April 14
For crisis support after hours, please use the Crisis Text Line. Text CUNY to 741741 for crisis support! Support is free, confidential, and available 24/7.