Home » Newsletter » Newsletter 09.02.2020

Newsletter 09.02.2020

GSGA News

September 2, 2020

Letter from GSGA President Zoe

Dear CUNY SPH Students, Staff and Faculty,

It is my pleasure to welcome our new students as well as our returning students, staff, and faculty for the Fall 2020 semester. I want to introduce myself as your current Graduate Student Government Association (GSGA) President for this academic term.

As COVID-19 continues to threaten the public health of the entire planet, the pandemic has exacerbated and illuminated public health crises that have been threatening the lives of US citizens long before the virus. Gun violence and mass shootings, mass incarceration, widespread unemployment, housing and food insecurity, lack of healthcare in a system that prioritizes profits above people. The pandemic has shed light on injustices, most notably systemic racism, and while a significantly higher number of Black and Brown people contracted and died from the virus in our city, we watched on social media as police took the lives of one unarmed black person after another, in broad daylight, on camera, with no shame.

The pandemic has illuminated just how detrimental shrinking budgets for education, healthcare, and social services can be, especially juxtaposed to the superfluous funds allotted for “national security,” law enforcement, police, and the military–not to mention the corporations supplying them with all their weapons, machinery, firearms and armor. Rationing PPE to health care workers on the frontlines who risk exposure to a deadly virus every day contrasted with police and federal law enforcement officers standing hip to hip in riot gear from head to toe, firearms at the ready pointed at US citizens peacefully protesting in cities all across the country makes it clear the extent to which taxpayer dollars are being mismanaged and improperly used. Now more than ever, our global and local communities need public health professionals to lead the way to advocate for and help bring about the change we so desperately need, which is why I am so happy to announce that this is the largest enrollment SPH has ever seen and the first semester completely online!

My mission this year as President is to create a sense of community through virtual events, including weekly Zoom study groups and meet up groups, relaxation and exercise workshops, movie nights, a speaker series, social hours, dance parties, and more! Serving alongside me is our wonderful Executive Board composed of our Vice-President, Senators, and other officers. You can find more details about all of us by visiting the GSGA website. The purpose of the GSGA is to represent and serve the students of SPH. I invite all students to voice any issues, needs, and suggestions that you may have so that we can advocate for you and help support you through this year at SPH. I encourage all students to connect with GSGA via our weekly e-mails, Instagram, Facebookand by attending GSGA events throughout the year. I want to extend my gratitude to all students, faculty, and staff who make SPH the place that it is, and I wish every student a wonderful and successful academic year!

Regardless of our concentration or degree, we all have committed to a career in public health, which means a life of service, and I am honored to share virtual classrooms with you, learn from you, read your discussion board posts and responses, and be a part of this wonderfully diverse, brilliant community.

Sincerely,

Zoe Schacht-Levine

GSGA 2020-2021

SPH Active Student Clubs

Interested in joining a club or starting your own? Click on the clubs below to learn more!

Sustainable SPH Club

Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights and Justice Club

Upcoming Events

SPH Virtual Meet & Greet

Meet the student services team, faculty members, and your fellow students through a series of virtual gatherings this week!

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
September 1, 2, and 3 | 4:00-6:00pm | RSVP 

Virtual Resumepalooza

Applying for jobs and internships and wondering if your resume is as compelling as it could be? Register to work with an industry professional to polish and tailor your resume for your field. 

Career Services | Thur September 17 | 12pm-3pm with 30 min slots 

ZOOM | RSVP | Questions: careerservices@sph.cuny.edu 

Other Career Services:

Job Postings 

Internships and Fellowships

CENSUS 2020

Have you completed the Census 2020? If not do it today! Here is the link!