Home » Newsletter » Newsletter 04.21.2021

Newsletter 04.21.2021

GSGA Newsletter

April 21, 2021

Happy Wednesday SPH students,

This week we have important announcements! First, we would like to introduce you to the candidates that are running for the 2021-2022 term in the Graduate Student Government Association. you may watch the Candidates Forum here prior to voting so that you can make an informed decision. See below their short bios and the link to vote for future student leaders. The last day to vote is April 28, 2021!

We are also searching for one student who would like to take on the Communications Officer (CO) role in GSGA for the 2021-2022 term. The CO handles GSGA social media and weekly newsletters (like this one). If you are interested, please send a letter of interest to GSGA@sphmail.cuny.edu

You may visit our GSGA website to check out our latest updates, newsletters, events, current student clubs, and more!

Lastly, tomorrow April 22 from 6pm-7pm we will be co-hosting the CUNY Ranked Choice Voting Training! Join an interactive training to learn about this new system, and how it will help determine our city’s leadership! RSVP Here TODAY!

Sincerely,

GSGA 2020-2021

2021-2022 GSGA Candidates

Election Timeline: Online voting will take place from Wednesday, April 14 through Wednesday, April 28 at 11:59 PM.

1) Watch the Candidates’ Forum here! 

2) Vote here today!

Ansu Abraham

Candidate for: Masters Senator (EPI/BIO),

Concentration: Epidemiology & Biostatistics

Hello everyone! My name is Ansu Abraham. I am an international student pursuing my MPH in Epidemiology and Biostatistics. I am originally from India and was a dentist there. I have held leadership roles in the research association in my previous university. That involvement truly enhanced my student experience and helped me engage with my classmates. This led me to look into the GSGA. As a Masters Senator candidate, I hope to represent my peers and their needs. A fun fact about me is that I learned to bake while quarantining with my parents. I also spend my weekends reading and traveling.

Alanna Cruz

Candidate for: Committee for Equity and Inclusion

Concentration: Health Policy & Management

I would like to nominate myself to serve on the Committee for Equity and Inclusion. This would be a continuation of my current role as a student representative on the CEI, which began in January 2021. I am dedicated to equity issues within CUNY SPH and outside of this institution. This past year, I was accepted to join a small cohort of health-career professionals to receive ongoing training related to advocacy and community organization as part of the Cambridge Health Alliance Center for Health Equity, Education, and Advocacy. Additionally, I currently work as a pediatric speech-language pathologist with underserved communities in NYC. In my current role in the CEI, I have proposed initiatives that will benefit the student body and I would like to continue to bring students’ concerns to the forefront of these important discussions so that all individuals are heard and represented at CUNY SPH. Thank you for your consideration!

Antonino Maltese

Candidate for: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Masters Senator, Governance Council Committee for Equity and Inclusion, and Faculty and Student Disciplinary Committee

I’m Antonino Maltese, a Health Policy & Management member, and I want to be your candidate for the Graduate Student Government Association! Over the past eight months, I’ve heard the student bodies’ grievances, and I believe I can make the necessary improvements due to my experience working with students & staff to create equitable opportunities. My platform is increased communication between students and faculty, more internship opportunities, and an improved college to career pipeline.

My only promise is that I will work hard for you!

Dima Masoud

Candidate for:  Doctoral Program Representative

Concentration: CHHP, PHD Student

Dedicated public health professional with solid experience supporting the needs of underserved individuals in different settings, including programs in the Philippines, Occupied Palestinian Territory, and the U.S. Proficient in quantitative and qualitative research methods, evaluation, statistical software knowledge, and program planning. Multilingual in English, Arabic (mother tongue), and basic French.

Sherline Altidor

Candidate for: Masters Senator (HPAM), Governance Council Departmental Student Representative HPAM, Governance Council Degree Program Student Representative MPH/MS Program, Governance Council Student Alternate, Governance Council Committee for Equity and Inclusion, and Faculty and Student Disciplinary Committee

I, Sherline Altidor nominate myself for these positions as a result of my outstanding record with leadership. Previously, in my undergraduate university, I served on a department committee as well as starting my own organization at the university. I also served as the Vice President of the National Society of Collegiate Scholars for two years. Among the aforementioned is also my attentiveness, perseverance, and willingness to work as a team with my colleagues. I believe that these qualities alongside the ability to quickly adapt allow me to be one of the best candidates for these positions I have nominated myself for above. I hope that you will continue forward with my nomination and allow me to utilize my skills, experiences, and adaptability to better serve the CUNY School of Public Health and CUNY community.

Bradley Meacham

Candidate for: Vice President, Masters Senator (HPAM), Governance Council Departmental Student Representative HPAM

I believe with my determination for incusivity and equity I can bring people together and help bring ideas to light that would be otherwise not be illuminated. I have much determination and I am a team player who enjoys hearing different perspectives and progressing ideas. I care about helping as many people as possible and improving the communication of students to GSGA to actionable results. I hope to give back to the university that will be giving me so much opportunity with my masters.

Julia Kolmakova

Candidate for: Masters Senator (EOGHS)

Concentration: EOGHS

My name is Julia Kolmakova and I am pursuing my M.S. in Environmental and Occupation Health Sciences. This is my first year at CUNY SPH and I am very excited to be here. I received my Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry at SUNY at Stony Brook. I became interested in Environmental and Occupational Health sciences after working for some time as a Chemist at the NYC Department of Environmental Protection. I hope to gain the necessary knowledge, certifications, and training to become an experienced hazardous materials Industrial Hygienist Specialist and perhaps even subsequently an Environmental Health and Safety Engineer. I wish to pursue a career that allows me to predict and prevent health risks from work/school tasks/activities and environmental processes that contribute to the development of non-communicable diseases. I enjoy spending time outdoors especially camping, hiking, snowboarding. My guilty pleasure is traveling to Catskills on weekends to enjoy the nature, peace, and quiet of country living and observing the millions of stars at night while the crickets unleash their nightly chorus.

Natalia Surujnath

Candidate for: Masters Senator (HPAM), Governance Council Committee for Equity and Inclusion

My name is Natalia Surujnath, I am a first-year student majoring in Health Policy and Management. I believe I am the best fit for GSGA student senator. I worked previously with my undergraduate student government. I understand the need for inclusion and allowing all students to have a voice. I will listen to any complaint the student body may have and continue to push towards a positive impact that is beneficial to everyone.

Catalina Urichima

Candidate for: Vice President

Concentration: PHI, MS Student

I’m a bilingual and innovative professional with 12 years of experience in the healthcare industry. I excel in working in teams and have a strong background in project management. Currently, I’m in the second semester of the Master’s of Science, Population Health Informatics program. I’m a highly motivated individual who is interested in collaborating with fellow CUNY peers and being part of the SPH GSGA and Governance Council. In my spare time, I am an avid traveler, which has allowed me to develop my communication skills and cultural sensitivity. While traveling I enjoy learning about new cultures and immersing myself in the local cuisine. My motivation for joining GSGA is to offer student representation and bring new perspectives from the online Population Health Informatics program. By participating in the governance council I can assist in increasing student participation, increase the GSGA’s social media presence, and ensure that our peers can connect as well as develop a professional network. While in this leadership position I would not only gain additional skills but also have the opportunity to make long-lasting connections.

Ranked Choice Voting | RSVP TODAY

Thursday April 22 | 6pm-7pm | RSVP

Join an interactive training to learn about this new system, and how it will help determine our city’s leadership.

For the June 2021 primary election, you will get to choose up to five candidates for NYC Mayor and other city elected offices using ranked-choice voting. We’ll answer some of the most common questions we’ve heard from New Yorkers, including:

• Why are we starting ranked-choice voting this year?
  • How does ranked-choice voting make elections more representative?
  • How do you rank your preferred candidates?

For more information, check out the CUNY VOTE 2021 Primary Election booklet!

Crisis Text Line

Text CUNY to 741741 for crisis support!

Upcoming CUNY Events

CUNY SPH Disability Awareness Month Events | RSVP

This inaugural series of events will bring together students, faculty, staff, and alumni to illuminate the challenges and opportunities for creating and sustaining a more accessible and supportive learning and working environment for all who study, work, and visit our campus. We will be hosting a panel, a webinar, and screening several films organized around the themes of Invisibility, Inclusion, and Intersectionality. These events are open to the entire SPH and CUNY communities and we hope you will join us for some or all of them.

Career Services

To view the SPH Career Services live calendar click here!

STUDENT RESOURCES

GSGA Student Awards

Apply for reimbursement when you pay out of pocket to attend virtual public health conferences! There are also GSGA awards for community service, professional development, and manuscripts. You can’t miss out on this. For more details, click here to check it out!

Wellness for Students 

Stress Management Support Group

Tuesdays from March 2 through May 11  |  5pm – 6pm  |  Virtual

Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 813 2542 4718
Passcode: 540433

Email: Sherry.Adams@sph.cuny.edu

Crisis Text Line text: CUNY to 741741

Students for Racial Justice Support Group

Weekly on Wednesdays  |  5:00pm – 6:00pm  | RSVP

We acknowledge the emotional and social challenges of doing antiracism work while adjusting to the Covid-19 pandemic that has disproportionately impacted BIPOC. We name white supremacist terrorism as a threat to public health. Self-care is crucial as we engage in activism on the ground and/or from our homes. With great respect, we offer an open, weekly, virtual support group for CUNY SPH students promoting racial justice. The goal is mutual empowerment through sharing experiences and resources in a supportive environment where stress can be managed. If you would like more information please email Student Wellness Counselor Sherry Adams at sherry.adams@sph.cuny.edu.

Student Emergency Fund

If you are a current CUNY SPH student-facing short-term financial hardship, we encourage you to submit an application to the Student Emergency Fund.

To access the application, you will need to log into SharePoint using your SPH login (sph\______) credentials.  Reach out to the HelpDesk@sph.cuny.edu if you require assistance with SharePoint.

Click here to apply.  Please note that applicants will be asked to submit supporting documentation to demonstrate financial need.