2018 Society of Behavioral Medicine – by Tailisha Gonzalez, DPH student

Conference Attended: 2018 Society of Behavioral Medicine (SBM) Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA (April 11-14, 2018)

Relevance to Public Health: SBM is a vibrant, multidisciplinary society focused on the role of behavior in improving health, and whose vision is “better health through behavior change”. SBM members include the nation’s leading scientists and practitioners, and SBM annual meetings are the premier forum for the most influential behavioral medicine research.

My Personal Learning Objectives

1. Describe the role of behavioral medicine in today’s changing health care environment.
  2. Identify recent advances in behavioral interventions for health improvement
  3. Discuss new and cutting-edge research and clinical data on interactions between health and behavior.

Conference Recap

This was my first poster presentation at a national membership meeting and I loved it! It was an amazing experience to be amongst such talented and supportive colleagues. The society provides mentoring opportunities and publishes the abstracts of the posters they select in a special addendum to their publication. I had the opportunity to connect with advanced professionals in the fields of physical activity for health, chronic conditions prevention, and behavioral interventions for vulnerable populations through seminars and panel discussions. I met new colleagues at Sloan Kettering, UNC, NYU, and UC San Diego. I also had the opportunity to hear the Mayor of New Orleans discuss the current health priorities for the city as well as Dr. Sandro Galea’s perspectives on social divides and public health. Below are the notes from his keynote address. I look forward to returning to the annual meeting next year, hopefully for another poster or as part of a panel. I plan to be an active member in the society.

Interested in receiving funding to attend and/or present at a conference or workshop relevant to public health? Apply for funding here!